News

Judge orders Maryland to keep expanded jobless benefits

today07/14/2021 6

Background
share close

BALTIMORE (AP) — A Baltimore judge has blocked Gov. Larry Hogan’s plan to end pandemic-related federal enhanced unemployment benefits early in Maryland.

Circuit Court Judge Lawrence Fletcher-Hill issued a preliminary injunction Tuesday morning ordering the Hogan administration to keep paying the expanded benefits at least until two lawsuits brought by out-of-work Marylanders are resolved. The judge found that plaintiffs showed that they would suffer “irreparable harm” if the preliminary injunction weren’t issued.

The governor’s office said the state doesn’t plan to appeal.

Last month, Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the state would discontinue benefits on July 3rd ahead of their expiration in September.

 

Source: AP – All contents copyright 2021 Associated Press.  All rights reserved.

 

Written by: Editor

Rate it

Previous post

News

Expanded jobless benefits will continue into August

BALTIMORE (AP) — Maryland's labor secretary testified Monday that federal enhanced unemployment benefits will continue at least through August during a hearing related to lawsuits seeking the continuation of the benefits. News outlets report that Labor Secretary Tiffany Robinson told a Baltimore judge that the benefits, including supplemental $300 weekly payments, will continue because the federal government requires 30 days' notice to opt out. The Biden administration notified Robinson that […]

today07/13/2021 4

0%